Packing for a Cruise should be different than packing for any other vacation.
Why? A cruise vacation is unlike any other vacation. You are getting on an amazing ship and leaving the port for a great adventure. However, you need to pack like you may not get all your luggage. There are some definite best practices for packing for and taking a cruise vacation.
Lost luggage or delayed luggage is not new to the airline industry. It happens due to human error – and that is a risk that you take each time you board a plane, but there are ways to pack in order to minimize the effect a missing bag will have on your cruise vacation.
Things to keep in mind
Travel to the Port a day early. This allows you to be sure to arrive at the port in plenty of time so you don’t miss the cruise ship and you can pick up anything you might have left at home. And, always, pack carefully and take a carry on bag.
What to Pack in Your Carry-On
- One full change of clothes
- One pair Pajamas
- One Swimsuit (if necessary)
- An extra pair of Shoes
- Coat if going to a cold climate
- Pack ALL your Medications
- Pack Toiletries (example: deodorant, toothbrush and toothpaste)
- Pack Valuables (example: jewelry, electronics)
What to Pack in Your Luggage
- Daily Clothing
- Use Packing Cubes for better organization
- Make sure you take one outfit for each day
- Include shoes, socks and undergarments for each day
- Shampoo/ Conditioner
- Soap or Body Wash
- Any necessary Makeup
- Hair Care Products
What Happens if My Luggage Does not Make it to the ship?
This is always a possibility when you travel, so be prepared. Here are a few of my tips:
- Pack Diversely
- Mix and match clothing and toiletries in each bag, this will allow you to have some items if one of your bags does not make it onboard.
- Be sure to have a set of clothing in your Carry On.
- Place shoes in each bag so that you have options as you travel.
- Report it to the Airline
- Make sure you fill out an incident report when your baggage does not arrive
- Be your own advocate, call and keep working to have your luggage delivered.
- Report it to the Cruise Line
- Make Sure you report to Guest Relations that your bag should be coming in from the airlines
- If your Bag does not arrive make sure that they are aware that you are short luggage. Many have toiletries they can give you for your time onboard
This is your vacation – to make it or break it, smile and roll with it. Be sure to have extra clothes washed if you need to on board. You can purchase additional clothing or toiletries on board (keep the receipts you may need them for the airline). Continue your vacation, have a great time and enjoy your Cruise no matter the incident!
I had this happen to me recently, and I took the approach that I was on a cruise ship, in the ocean going to the Great State of Alaska and nothing was going to rain on my parade. I learned valuable lessons about how to pack but still had an amazing vacation.
For help planning a cruise vacation, Please fill out this form to get started!
Thanks to Embrace the Journey Travel Planner, Angel Waite, for writing this blog post for us. You can learn more about Angel here.